Tuesday 11 June 2013

Taro Treat


Boiled or steamed taro just doesn't float my boat. The lump of soft, white starch on the plate just makes me wish it was a potato. I have been looking for tasty ways to use taro because taro is cheap and can be found year round on Saipan. I found this taro chip recipe and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think baking them would make them so crispy, but they turned out great. I substituted coconut oil for olive oil and I think coconut oil brings out a great flavor. Awesome with any dip like hummus or with poki, but they taste the best when I sneak them into the movie theater. 


Ingredients

4-5 medium-sized taro roots
coconut oil (or other oil)
salt or other seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 

Using a carrot peeler, remove the thin brown peel on the taro. Using a mandolin, or a very sharp knife and steady hand, slice the taro into thin, uniform slices. Brush oil on both sides of each slice and arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until they become golden brown. Careful! They burn quickly.  Season and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container to protect them from the soggifying humidity. Your days are numbered stale, fluorescent yellow movie theater popcorn! (Probably not though. Everyone loves that stuff.)

Note: It's very important that the slices are uniform or you will end up with some soggy and some burnt.



No comments:

Post a Comment